Gordon Baker, M.A.
After more than 40 years of marriage, my wife and I are still each other’s hero and best friend. Mind you, neither of us had the greatest start, so it’s been quite a journey. I have always cared deeply for the people who find themselves in one of life’s “no outlet” streets, especially when the pain centers around marriage and family relationships. During years of ministry and missionary experience I have counseled individuals and couples, and led seminars in many different settings. My worldview is Christian, but I am able to work sensitively with clients from any or no religious background.
Sexuality is at the core of our being, so helping people to become whole sexually is one of my major counseling interests. Many have been desperately wounded in this special, personal part of their identity. Others have been misinformed, and rapidly increasing numbers of adults and youth are falling into the trap of pornography and sexual addiction. Both men and women suffer the painful consequences of these distortions – but through caring therapy, many find a path to restoration.
Please check out my personal website: www.gordonmbaker.com
- University of Canterbury, New Zealand – B.S Psychology -1968
- Univ. of Canterbury, New Zealand – B.A. Math & Education – 1971
- New Zealand Dept. of Education – Diploma in Teaching – 1971
- Australian Institute of Family Counseling – Advanced Diploma – 2005
- Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA – M.A. Human Relations – 2008
- Richmont Grad. Univ., Atlanta, GA – M.A. Marriage & Family Therapy, Sex Therapy Track – 2010
- Therapist – Renew Counseling Assoc. – 1/2010 to present
- Intern, First Baptist Church, Woodstock, GA – 5/09 – 4/10
- Intern, Hope Counseling Center, Richmont Grad. Univ. 8/09 – 4/10
- Counselor, Co-director, Kona Comm. Counseling, HI, 1/91 – 6/92
- Teacher, Middle and High School, 1969 -71; 1988-89
- Foster parent to at-risk youth – 1979-1987
(sees clients in W. Hartford & Avon offices – cell phone # 860-881-1948)
Melissa Elek, LCSW
Licensed Clinical Social Worker – CT
In-network insurance panels: Anthem BC/BS, Medicaid (Husky)
(Sees clients in W. Hartford office. Cell phone # 860-602-8044)
I believe no one is beyond God’s redemptive power. Crisis is often an unwelcomed door to life transformation. I believe true change occurs when we know who God is and who we are in Him. Having this security opens us to whatever changes may be necessary in our lives. Over the past nine years, I’ve walked alongside those coping with major life change, loss, and relationship difficulties. I am experienced in addressing trauma, depression, bipolar, and many anxiety disorders. I enjoy working with people wrestling with guilt, perfectionism, and spiritual struggles. I also have experience working with couples and families to help them come together and find common ground.
My approach is to be honest, empathic, and collaborative. We can work together to identify faulty belief patterns, relationship patterns, or behaviors that may be keeping you back from where you want to be in your life. I have experience in a number of treatment approaches and have been influenced by the work of Larry Crabb, believing that intimacy with God is key. Therapy can be challenging work, but rewarding. Without truth we do not grow. Grace empowers us in the midst of our trials to have hope in order to change. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about therapy.
* Masters of Social Work – University of Connecticut 2003
* Bachelors of Social Work – Western New England University 2002
* Adult Outpatient Clinician- Individual, group, and family therapy – Intercommunity, Inc. 2007- Present